The Gold Coast SUNS would like to congratulate and recognise Paul Stevens on receiving the Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) as part of yesterday's honours list at Parliament House.
Stevens received the award for his substantial contribution to the community of the Gold Coast and AFL.
Serving as a Director at Southport Sharks Football Club for 20 years between 2001 and 2021, Mr Stevens has played a significant role in the growth of AFL on the Gold Coast and is still an active advocate as Patron of the Gold Coast SUNS.
Whilst serving on the board at Southport Sharks, Stevens was an avid supporter during the successful bid process for an AFL license on the Gold Coast.
His service to the Gold Coast has been significant and wide ranging and included a six-year period where he served as Chief Executive Officer for the Gold Coast City Council.
On behalf of the Gold Coast SUNS, congratulations and thank you Paul for your contribution to the Gold Coast and AFL.
Gold Coast Community
- Honorary Secretary/Treasurer, Gold Coast Sporting Hall of Fame Inc., 2001-2021.
- Director, Southport Sharks AFL Football Club, 2004-2021, and Patron, current.
- Chairman, Australian Special Olympics National Games, 2006.
- Director and Secretary, Gold Coast Academy of Sport, 2017-2021.
- Chief Executive Officer, Gold Coast City Council, 1998-2003.
- Director of Corporate Services, Gold Coast City Council, 1994-1997.
- Deputy Shire Clerk, Albert Shire Council (amalgamated into Gold Coast City Council), 1987-1994.
- Shire Clerk, Maclean Shire Council, NSW, 1982-1986.
Awards and Recognition include:
- Gold Coast Australia Day Citizen of the Year, 2014.